.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Big Picture

'Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.' -- Vizzini from "The Princess Bride"

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Still Waiting for that Fabled Christian Love of Enemies

Jesus said:
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighborand hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,
45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. [
Matthew 5:43-45 NKJV]

As an atheist I only guessed that I was an "enemy"... But I have to wonder now. For I have gotten no love from any Christian at all. Not one person took the trouble to send me any of the pro-Christian apologetics materials I requested in this post. I can only guess that either spreading the gospel of Jesus is a false canard for Christianity, or virtually all of today's Christians are not actually Christ-like and all are just as hell-bound as I am.

But as I am a kindly soul, I am willing to offer second chances. You can make up for your sins against Jesus' teachings here and now. Here is the list of Christian materials I desire to read and learn from:

First up is this tome from Coral Ridge Ministries. Who Is This Jesus; Is He Risen?- Book and DVD

Next is the book by Norman Geisler, I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist (Paperback)

Otherwise I would love to have copies of Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ and C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. Both of which I have read before but were not my copies and I had to give them back.

Please email me for my mailing address. If you have ideas for some other books in the apologetics vein which you think would be useful, please let me know in comments.

P.S. I certainly appreciate more comments along the vein of Rhology's as they just do more to show how hollow, deceitful, and hypocritical many Christians truly (or should I say 'T'ruly) are. Rhology makes me proud to have given up Christianity and in its place embraced humanism.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At March 22, 2008 4:13 PM, Blogger Vinny said...

Maybe they are loving you, but you just don't realize it because it's the kind of love God displays when he sentences his creatures to eternal torture in a lake of fire. To the untrained eye, it can sometimes be hard to recognize when one is being loved that way.

 
At March 22, 2008 9:40 PM, Blogger jeffperado said...

Vinny,
If I'm reading you right (and I know I am), then the greatest human lovers were Jeffrey Dahlmer, Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, etc. etc. and etc.

If love=utter destruction then I want no part of that love.

I will take love that helps rather that destroys any day.

And thanks for the clarification of Christian love Vinny.

 
At March 22, 2008 9:47 PM, Blogger jeffperado said...

By the way, go check out Vinny's blog, even as an atheist I have to give him much credit for being honest and learned.
You Call This Culture?

 
At March 23, 2008 8:31 AM, Blogger Vinny said...

Dahmer had that "gay thing" going, which we know God doesn't like, so I don't think we can count him. You could be right about Manson and Bundy though.

 
At March 23, 2008 8:21 PM, Blogger jeffperado said...

Heh.. You have a point, but then again I cannot imagine any of them being "right with God" in any sense. My point (albeit tongue-in-cheek) was that that tough love -- that perpetrated by God -- could be mirrored by a perverse tough love that these serial killers perpetrated. In both cases the result was permanant. Not one person murdered by any serial killer ever returned to life, and not one person condemned to hell by God later got a pass into heaven (Unless you consider Jesus).

But my basic point in writing these two posts (and more importantly writing them in the taunting style I did) was to simple show that preaching the gospel and saving souls -- things ordained by Jesus in the Gospels -- seems to be hollow meaningless accolades. To put them into practice means doing something -- sending me these resources. And that seems to be too much to handle: Maybe go to church and hear the pastor say that, maybe say some Jesus-centric things to a friend, but to put actual effort into it. Well that is too much to ask -- just sit back and let the heathen burn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home