.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Big Picture

'Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.' -- Vizzini from "The Princess Bride"

Sunday, December 24, 2006

No such thing as truth

For conservative Christian groups like Focus on the Family, there is no such thing as truth (little 't'), only Truth (big 'T'). What that means is that there ultimate truth in God and God's word, the bible. But otherwise, there is no other truth (sometimes referred to as human knowledge). One example of this disregard for truth comes from James Dobson. AlterNet provides us with an update to this story. Ed Brayton has more.

For Christians like these, all that matters is that they push their narrow theological views onto the rest rest of us at any cost -- usually distorting truth into a lie. All in service to their own Truth.

In this case, James Dobson wrote a TIME article slamming gays, gay marriage, and same sex parents. In the article he used scientific data to back up his position. Only this time he was caught red-handed distorting truth by the scientists whose research he butchered. It is true that Dobson may have done this unintentionally, but that is highly unlikely. This means it was deliberate -- an intentional lie. Why can we claim this? Dobson is a PhD in psychology. Surely, as a doctorate, he knows how to read and quote from a scientific paper honestly.

This is what really caught my eye in this case (as the whole dishonesty thing is quite common in fundamental Christian apologetics). Below is an excerpt of the letter the scientist wrote to Dobson:
I am writing to ask that you cease and desist from quoting my research in the future. I was mortified to learn that you had distorted my work this week in a guest column you wrote in Time Magazine. Not only did you take my research out of context, you did so without my knowledge to support discriminatory goals that I do not agree with. What you wrote was not truthful and I ask that you refrain from ever quoting me again and that you apologize for twisting my work.

This was a professional, direct, and non-accusatory letter. It stated fact, did not attack Dobson or his beliefs, and limitied itself to truthful claims. Dobson on the other hand, plays in the mud. He insults, lies, accuses (all) gays of heinous crimes all without the benefit of truth.

So what do I see? I see that the side of reason fights clean, above-the-belt, and uses fact and honesty. Christians, in contrast, fight dirty; they lie, demean, insult, deceive and do it in the name of their peaceful and loving god-figure. It is no wonder that Christianity is thriving even today, for them, there are no rules -- and that is an absolute.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At September 16, 2009 4:17 PM, Anonymous Justin said...

I believe truth exists, for that statement is part of the truth. Read "I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist" by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek. You can find it on Google Books. That's something that only you can do. It gets to the point very quickly, and I promise you, it will not be a waste of your time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home