.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Big Picture

'Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.' -- Vizzini from "The Princess Bride"

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Ray Comfort at it again

I have to say that that calling things "stupid" does not make a convincing argument, but that is really all I can think of when it comes to Ray's latest "proof" of God. It seems that our dear friend, Ray Comfort, has given up on convincing anyone with an I.Q. above their shoe size that God is real; and is going for the "I don't know my right hand from my left" crowd only these days.

I simply must apologize for this plunge into logical fallacy, but for the life of me, I cannot come up with anything (at all -- like "nice typing") to refute his argument, because there is not one scrap of intelligible argumentation or fact at all. Don't believe me, read it for yourself. Electricity is invisible! Poof!! That means God is real!!!1!!!1!11!!! Case closed -- take that all you College Edu-macated atheists.

That really is the extent of his argument. This, from his second paragraph:
These men were rationalists, and electricity was said to be invisible [Link from original removed -- see Ray's article for reference]. They refused to believe in something that couldn't be scientifically demonstrated

Notice how right away Ray equates "invisible" with being "scientifically demonstr[able]". The mere fact that there are numerous things with are scientifically demonstrable yet invisible proves just how absurd this is. Yet this eqaution of the two is the entire basis for Ray's proof. Ray is saying if science can't see it, it is not real. The problem is that he then contradicts his analogy by saying that since we know electricity is real then God is real.

Ray's whole point is that science can test the existence of electricity and determine its reality, so denying it is just a big lie. But I have to wonder, how does Ray propose to test the existence of God, scientifically? Maybe he could pray to move a mountain. I miss the Smokey Mountains here in Nevada -- Maybe he could help me out and prove that God exists all at the same time by moving them to Nevada.

Oh, I forgot, God cannot be tested.
Matthew 4:7 "Jesus said to him, "Again it is written, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"" [ESV]
Well, forget the scientific proof of God then.

P.Z. Myers has a very sarcastic take on this over at Pharyngula.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home